The Application Delivery Network can be best defined as a set of technologies that offers application availability, acceleration, visibility and security. This is a combination of WAN optimization and application delivery control.
Application delivery networking is characterized by numerous functions, like layer 4 load balancing and layer 7 content switching. Other functions include the following:-
* Integration of web application firewall system
* DDOS and Malware protection
* SSL offload and acceleration capacities
* TCP offload and acceleration capacities
Mulling on the same note, Load balancing is a computer networking procedure that helps in distributing workload across various computers, or network links, computer cluster, disk drives, central processing units, and any other resources to attain optimum resource utilization, increase response time and avert overload.
By utilizing various constituents along with load balancing appliances, rather than a single component might help in maximizing the consistency through redundancy. Load balancing service is generally offered by a dedicated hardware of software, for instance a Domain Name System server or multilayer switch.
Today eminent service providers have come up with load balancing and link load balancing solutions. Some of the benefits of server load balancing are as follows:-
* Enables global and local server load balancing with multi-unit clustering for 99.999% application uptime as well as data center scalability
* Offers advanced application traffic management for optimized delivery of critical business applications and other IP services
* There is offloading of application and Web servers for high efficiency, capacity as well as return on investment
* There is incorporated TCP connection multiplexing, high-speed HTTP processing, compression and caching for a 5X improvement in application functionality
* SSL acceleration for safeguarding data in transit, offloading compute-intensive processes from servers and enhancing application performance
* There are reverse-proxy infrastructure with an advanced packet-inspection firewall for securing applications without influencing the performance
* There are application-specific criteria and configuration guidelines for quick implementation of optimized configurations
* Advanced performance of 2048-bit SSL encryption for aligning with NIST and certificate authority security needs
* Extensible XML-RPC for incorporation along with proprietary and other third party data center management and monitoring products
The new age server load balancers offers a strategic point of control that helps in optimizing the safety, accessibility and performance of IP data services, data center devices and enterprise applications.